Friday, March 31, 2006

Book Review: Deep Blue

I have another book by Kat Martin on my TBR Shelf, in the living room. But I found the Deep Blue title in the $1 bin at 1/2 Price Books so I couldn't pass it up. I have read the backs of several of Kat's books, and they seem like a good adventurous read.

My first impression of this book, however, was that I was not going to enjoy it this author. My main objection is the choice of adjectives used to describe the people of Jamaica and what seemed like the constant re-use of the characters first and last names or descriptions of things that were already firmly set in my mind. One of the minor characters that appeared several times was always described with very black skin and bright white teeth - but I remembered that from the first introduction to the character.

As another example of beating the information over the readers head, a car is mentioned in detail in the beginning of the book - color, make, model and the reason for the silly thing being part of the story, YET every time the car was mentioned in the story, it seemed like 3 out of the four points were mentioned again as well. This was frustrating to me. Unless the plan was to repaint the vehicle, blow it up or take it off the island - there was no reason to repeat that it was an old blue, Toyota Corolla that was kept on the island for the purpose of running them around while they were there so it was not necessary to hire a taxi or rental car every time they were in port. DUH! On my death bed, I'm going to remember it was an old blue Toyota Corolla. I can't even remember what my Soon-to-Be Ex-husband's first car was, but this, I will remember. I'm not sure why I felt the need to do a mini-rant about this annoyance, but I feel better now, having typed it.

After I pushed past my annoyance the story was very engaging. Pirates and treasure have always held a fascination for me, even before being introduced to Captain Jack Sparrow. The adventure and excitement of the story pushed me along and I often found myself transported to the aqua colored waters where untold treasures could be found just below sand. The tale was gripping and I was very pleased to find that I didn't have any unanswered questions at the end.


This appears to be the last in a trio of books about the Sinclair sisters. I found a couple of text errors (wrong sister's name) that caused a wee bit of confusion during my adventure, but because my copy was a first printing, I'm sure they've already been corrected. I think I'll read the other book on my TBR shelf and see how I feel before making the decision to add Ms. Martin to my list of 'must have' authors. I do recommend this book, for folks who like suspense there is plenty of it. Readers who devour tales from Cherry Adair will enjoy this story too.

No comments: