Thursday, April 27, 2006

Book Review: Breath of Magic

Teresa Medeiros is known for her historical story lines having only recently ventured into paranormal. I’m not big on historical novels, though after reading the ‘blurb’ for several of her books on her website, there are one or two that intrigue me. Magic, time travel and betrayal are the elements for a fascination tale from the past into the present called Breath of Magic. My Roomie recommended this book to me when I said I needed something a little different than the contemporaries I’ve been reading lately.

With a bang the story takes off on a wild ride, keeping in the realm of possibility but still teasing the depth of my belief that there is magic in the world if you know where to look for it. After being catapulted from the simple Puritan life to the decadence of New York City the young Witch Wannabe discovers it might be easier to return to the past and face those who would put her on trial than to suffer the distain of the man she’s fallen head over broomstick in love with.

I enjoyed the way the characters in the present interacted as if they really had known each other since childhood, and the painful twist of mistrust that followed the lovers through their courtship and beyond was well crafted. There were times I wanted to toss the hero off the top of his mighty tower for being a jerk, and yet his tenderness and growth brought tears to my eyes in the end.

I discovered there is a follow up to this story and now I’ll be on my way back to the book store to track it down. There are also a couple other paranormal titles on Teresa’s shelf, if you like vampires. I here they’re pretty good and look forward to starting another Medeiros title soon.

No comments: