Tuesday, July 29, 2008

RWA National Conference Day -1

The RWA National Conference begins tomorrow. The Marriott conference hotel in San Francisco is the place to be for Romance Authors this week. This is my first national conference after joining the RWA in July of last year. I'm not pitching (officially) this week because my manuscript is not finished, but I'm planning to talk with folks about the books while I'm here.

My flight this morning was delayed (a little) because of fog at SFO. When the visibility is bad, the close down one of the runways and delay flights at their point origin to help keep the traffic flowing smoothly. The delay gave me a chance to catch up with other GSRWA members Carolynn Estes, Kelli Estes, Jane Porter and Julie Revell-Benjamin also on the delayed flight. Friendly and familiar faces was a wonderful way to start the trip.

I took the Super Shuttle with Julie, Leanne Shawler and a couple other ladies to the Conference Hotel, saw Shannon McKeldon and Christina Arbini in the lobby and later ran into Ciara Stewart. Julie and I found a Sports Bar on the corner to refuel before making the journey to Bloomingdale's for a little bling shopping. We even stopped at the cosmetics counter, talked up the conference and gave Christina and Ashley at Benefit a chance to convince us to make a purchase. They were sweet and offered free glam every morning before the conference if we wanted to stop buy. Tempting, but I'm thinking I'll be running late like always, and will not have time.

I'm not staying at the conference hotel, and I wish I was, but then, glad I'm not. I know, confusing - right? Staying away from the conference will allow some down time, and I think it will be less tempting to stay out all night if I know I have more than an elevator ride to bed. The draw back here is I don't have a quick ride to a hiding place if I need to 'get away' for a bit. The Conference hotel has a nice lobby conversation area, so I'm thinking I'll hang out there - or the Starbucks. I don't know how much time it will take to walk to the conference hotel, I'll find that out tomorrow.

Speaking of time, I haven't even looked at the workshop information (yet) but I'm excited to check out all the options for learning. I'm going now, to put together a schedule for tomorrow.

More reporting (and more excitement) tomorrow.

No comments: